My computer is running very slow, how can I fix this?
There are several things that you can do to help resolve the issue with your computer running slow.
- Reboot your computer if not rebooted recently. Reboot your computer before trying any of the steps below. A common problem a computer runs slow are programs running in the background. You can temporarily remove or disable programs that start automatically after your computer is rebooted.
- You can delete temporary files stored on the hard drive which are no longer needed on the computer.
- Free up hard drive space. Verify that you have 200-500 MB of free disk space. Hard drive space is needed to allow the computer room for temporary files and the swap file to increase.
- Scan for malware and viruses. Run a scan of your computer files using your Avast software program.
- Check for Windows updates. Ensure that your Windows system is up to date to protect your files from security threats and to be sure that your software runs smoothly.
- Reboot your computer again.
- Consider upgrading your computers RAM memory. By allowing your computer to have enough RAM memory to run the programs you use, you will not need to swap information stored in the memory.
For further assistance call or email the IT Help Desk:
(731) 352-4040 option 2 firstname.lastname@example.org