Can I change the settings for my Chromebooks touchpad?
You can make changes to the way your Chromebooks touchpad works and how the mouse pointer moves.
Change touchpad settings
- After signing into your Chromebook.
- Click the status area where your account picture is.
- Choose settings.
- Under the Device area, use the slider to adjust the speed of your touchpad or mouse pointer.
- Click Touchpad settings to:
- swap the primary mouse buttons
- turn on or off the tap-and-click feature
- change the scrolling method
- Choose OK.
Resolve touchpad issues
If you experience issues with your touchpad not functioning, there are troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve this issue. It is recommended that you test the touchpad after each step to see if it starts working.
- Examine the touchpad for dirt, dust, or other obstuctions.
- Press the Esc key multiple times.
- Drum or tap the touchpad for at least 10 seconds.
- Try restarting your Chromebook.
- Perform a hard reset on your Chromebook.
- Lastly, login to your Chromebook to see if the issue still occurs. If logging in with a different account reveals that the touchpad works, you will need to remove the account that causes touchpad issues and then re-add the account.
Performing a Hard Rest on your Chromebook
You can reset your Chromebook to factory default settings by performing a hard reset.
- Unplug your Chromebook.
- Use a paperclip, press the small hole on the backside of your Chromebook as indicated in your user guide.
- Plug in the power adapter.